Welcome to the digital home of Greenville Composite
Squadron, a unit of Civil Air Patrol (CAP), the official civilian
auxiliary of the United States Air Force. Greenville Composite
Squadron is based in Greenville, South Carolina, and primarily
serves Greenville County, the Upstate and the surrounding region.
Greenville Composite Squadron is a unit of Group 3, which is part of
the South Carolina Wing within the Mid-Atlantic Region.
Civil Air Patrol is a premier
public-service organization that serves as a vital link in the
homeland defense equation, providing search and rescue, disaster
relief, and humanitarian services. It was founded
on December 1, 1941, one week before the Japanese attack on Pearl
Harbor. CAP was the vision of more than 150,000 citizens who were concerned about the defense of America's coastline. Under the jurisdiction of the Army Air Forces, CAP pilots flew more than one-half million hours, were credited with sinking two enemy submarines and rescued hundreds of crash survivors during World War II.
On July 1, 1946, President Harry Truman established the Civil Air
Patrol as a federally chartered benevolent civilian corporation. On May 26, 1948, Congress passed Public Law 557, making CAP the auxiliary of the new United States Air Force
(USAF) charged with three primary missions: aerospace education, cadet programs and emergency services.
Records of Civil Air Patrol
activities in Greenville extend to the early days of WWII. The
squadron's current charter was issued on June 4, 1957.
Cadet meetings take place Monday
evenings from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Senior member meetings take place on
the first and third Tuesdays of the month from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
Most meetings are held at the squadron headquarters,
Airport Road Extension, Greenville, at the South Ramp of
Greenville Downtown Airport (GMU) and adjacent to the
Runway Park. Note: some meetings may take place in the hangar
of Runway Cafe. See calendar or contact squadron officers below for